Nelson Mandela has become critically ill in hospital, the South African presidency has announced.
President Jacob Zuma said he had visited Mr Mandela and spoken to his wife and medical teams.
Doctors were “doing everything possible to get his condition to improve” said Mr Zuma in a statement.
South Africa’s first black president, 94, was taken to hospital in Pretoria earlier this month for the third time this year, with a lung infection.
Mr Zuma said he had been told by doctors on Sunday that the former president’s condition had worsened over the past 24 hours.
“The doctors are doing everything possible to get his condition to improve and are ensuring that Madiba is well-looked after and is comfortable. He is in good hands,” said President Zuma, using Mr Mandela’s clan name by which he is widely known in South Africa.
Mr Zuma – who was joined at the hospital by the deputy leader of his ruling African National Congress (ANC) Cyril Ramaphosa – appealed for prayers for Mr Mandela and his medical team.
Mac Maharaj, Mr Zuma’s spokesman, told the BBC’s Newshour that the doctors’ use of the word “critical” was “sufficient explanation that should raise concern amongst us”.
“Therefore we want to assure the public that the doctors are working away to try and get his condition to improve,” he said.
Mr Maharaj added that this was a stressful time for the Mandela family, and appealed for their privacy.
The ANC – the party of Mr Mandela and Mr Zuma – said it “noted with concern” the latest reports, and that it joined the president in calling “for us all to keep Madiba, his family and medical team in our thoughts and prayers during this trying time”.
The White House issued a statement on Sunday saying: “Our thoughts and prayers are with him [Mr Mandela], his family and the people of South Africa.”
The BBC’s Andrew Harding in Johannesburg says the release of information relating to Mr Mandela is always carefully controlled by the government to avoid sparking alarm.
Describing his condition as critical will be very worrying for South Africans, many of whom see him as like a family member, our correspondent says.
There has been little information about his condition in recent days. On 13 June Mr Zuma said Mr Mandela’s health continued to improve but that his condition remained serious.
More recently, one of Mr Mandela’s grandsons, Ndaba Mandela, said his grandfather was getting better and he hoped he would be home soon.
Last week, Mr Mandela’s wife Graca Machel thanked all those who had sent messages of support, saying they had brought “love, comfort and hope”.
Mr Mandela is revered for leading the fight against white minority rule in South Africa and then preaching reconciliation despite being imprisoned for 27 years. He left power after five years as president.
The former president and Nobel Peace Prize winner is believed to have suffered damage to his lungs while working in a prison quarry.
He contracted tuberculosis in the 1980s while being held in jail on the windswept Robben Island.
Mr Mandela retired from public life in 2004 and has rarely been seen at official events since.
On Saturday, it emerged that the ambulance in which Mr Mandela was taken to hospital on 8 June broke down, meaning he had to be moved to another vehicle.
But Mr Zuma said he had been assured that “all care was taken to ensure his medical condition was not compromised”.
“There were seven doctors in the convoy who were in full control of the situation throughout the period. He had expert medical care,” he said.
Mr Zuma also denied reports that the former leader had suffered a cardiac arrest.
Judiciary secretary Bigirimana Rubbishes Reports he’s been Denied Visa to the US
SECRETARY TO the Judiciary, Pius Bigirimana has described reports that he’s been denied a visa to The United States as ‘malice’ insisting was in New York just recently.
There was a published story that Bigirimana was denied entry to The States where he was invited to attend the inauguration of Prof Jim Gash as the president of Pepperdine University in Los Angeles. According prior News, Bigirimana was expected to travel alongside other judicial officials including Chief Justice Bart Katureebe.
Reacting to the story, Bigirimana describes the reports as malice and unfounded.“This is malice . I returned from New York recently. That’s rubbish,” he said. Indeed, Bigirimana was in the United States in May this year for the 100th anniversary of the International Labour Organization (ILO) to which he is the secretary. As part of its 100th anniversary, ILO painted a mural at the Uganda Embassy in New York in recognition of the efforts the government has put in place to solve youth unemployment.
The mural, part of the five painted around New York, specifically honours the Youth Livelihood Programme (YLP) for its unique approach in promoting youth entrepreneurship while contributing to the reduction of youth unemployment.To date, the Programme which was initiated by Bigirimana following his posting to the Gender Ministry in June 2013, has funded 20,159 youth projects. Up to Shs9,232 billion has been revolved to finance another youth 1,090 projects.Bigirimana has been at the forefront for integrity and has been praised by President Yoweri Museveni for his role in fighting corruption in Uganda.He has also been praised for his hard work and patriotism.
Rwandans ask Salvado To Apologize for Genocide Joke
By Staff Writer
Over the week, a video of Salvado’s standup performance went viral. It was one of his most creative jokes to-date about different airlines and their themes.
On one of the jokes about Rwanda Air, genocide was mentioned as one of the topics air hostesses can’t miss.
Now Rwandans have picked that up and taken offence. They have given Salvado an ultimatum to apologize. But he is not about to allow.
On his Twitter profile, he says those offended are missing the humour. The Rwandans insist the 1994 Genocide against the tutsi is not something to joke about.
We intend to have the biggest event of the year in ASFA 2019 – Talent Africa boss Ali Alibhai
The Abryanz style and Fashion awards are back for the 7th time and for the first time they have partnered with Talent Africa group.
Talent Africa group under it’s events and promotion wing will come active and handy in the ASFA 2019. We were keen on the partnership and quizzed Talent Africa boss Ali Alibhai on why he chose to partner with Abryanz this year.“We are a 360 entertainment company and have over years mastered the art of events marketing and this is another event we look forward to evelevating further. Abryanz Style and Fashion Awards have a very good reputation and we are sure our contribution will be felt” he said.
Talent Africa Group has in the past yet somilarly big events like Nyege Nyege and hosted many foreign artistes and have at all instances sold out. With such momentum we can be sure ASFA 2019 will be another event to look upto, probably the best ever edition so far.
HOT RIGHT NOW
- Featured4 days ago
Bebe Cool Defeats Bobi Wine in Hoima
- Celebrity Gossip8 hours ago
MC Mariachi, Maureen Nantume Banned from the US For 10 Years
- Entertainment News4 days ago
H.E President Yoweri Museveni endorses and applauds Kony: Order From Above Movie
- Celebrity Gossip2 days ago
Swangz Avenue considering terminating violent Nwagi
- Celebrity Gossip1 day ago
Video: Gospel singer Katalina returns in “Save My Soul”
- Celebrity Gossip2 days ago
Video: Jazmine, Face Off release Akaaba
- Celebrity Gossip2 days ago
Rich Love: Don Nasser welcomes fellow tycoon Sk Mbuga back home
- Celebrity Gossip4 days ago
South Sudanese business woman Achai Wiir unites Sudanese community in Uganda, prizes exemplary