Connect with us

Leader board

Local Business

MTN floors Threeways Shipping Group to recover USD 4 million

Published

on

SafeBoda is giving you 25% on all credit top-ups above 20k on Wednesdays. Click here

By Our Reporter

Threeways Shipping Services Group Ltd’s persistent applications to courts in a fervent effort to block the hearing of a suit filed by MTN against it and its Directors for recovery of USD 3,761,933 has hit a dead end in a fresh ruling by the High Court Judge, Justice Billy Kainamura of the commercial division who dismissed it with costs.

In his ruling on September 12th 2018, Justice Kainamura agreed with the position fronted by MTN Lawyers that the case involves enormous sums of money and justice would be furthered if the suit is heard on its merits. He further held that Threeways had not set out any legal grounds disputing the hearing of the case and the hearing of the suit had been frustrated by Threeways incessant applications.

The fresh ruling stems from a suit MTN filed against Threeways for defrauding the telecom giant of USD 4million in fictitious claims. Threeways allegedly made the fictitious claims to MTN between March 2009 and April 2012 on over 130 invoices with collusion of two former MTN employees: John Paul Basabosa and Naphtali Were and were paid colossal sums of money. The two employees were jointly sued with Threeways.

However, in 2014 the Commercial court presided over by Justice Christopher Madrama ruled that it was wrong for MTN to pursue the case against Threeways shipping Services yet there was a memorandum signed not to pursue a criminal case against the company at the anti corruption court.

Since then there has been back and forth appeals with MTN seeking to reinstate the suit and Threeways seeking to block it, resulting into the Wednesday ruling in which Justice Kainamura asserted thus: “I am inclined to agree with Counsel for the respondent, this case involves enormous sums of money and justice would be furthered if the suit is heard on its merits. On this premise, I dismiss this application with costs.”

MTN Lawyer Bruce Musinguzi said the next course of action is to set down the main suit for hearing at the earliest possible date to enable a speedy conclusion of the case.

A top official at MTN who preferred anonymity because the matter is still before court expressed happiness with the ruling. “It was just a matter of time before the truth comes out,” he said, adding, “You cant defraud a reputable company in broad day light, with all the glaring evidence and continue walking around with impunity. We are happy that court will finally dispense justice in a fair hearing.”

(Visited 1 time, 1 visit today)

Local Business

StarTimes moves to empower youth at SOS Villages

Published

on

 Olive Lumonya (L) exchanges MOU with Andy Wang (M) as StarTimes PRO Christine Nagujja looks on.

Olive Lumonya (L) exchanges MOU with Andy Wang (M) as StarTimes PRO Christine Nagujja looks on.

By Our Reporter

SafeBoda is giving you 25% on all credit top-ups above 20k on Wednesdays. Click here

StarTimes has moved to empower youth at the SOS Children’s Village. The pay TV company on Wednesday signed a memorandum of understanding with SOS during an event held at the NGO’s national office in Entebbe.

The three-year partnership will see SOS children get internship and job placement for qualified youths from the village, provide digital television and equipment for learning to the SOS villages so that the children can go e-learning and match with the competitive job market. In addition, StarTimes will use its platform to spearhead a campaign to encourage Ugandans to offer support to children’s homes.

Speaking at the event, the CEO of StarTimes Andy Wang said that this partnership is one of the few ways they can give back to Ugandans for the great support they have showed StarTimes in the past 8 years that has turned them into the largest market share holder.

“We believe this partnership will help the youth reach their full potential and contribute positively towards the development of this country,” Andy Wang also noted.

Ms Olive Lumonya, the Country Director SOS Children’s Villages expressed gratitude towards the partnership noting that with this support will go a long way in providing a more comfortable environment for the children.

“With the biggest population at the SOS Children’s Villages being youth, we have been grappling with youth unemployment among other challenges. We are grateful that StarTimes has come on board to help us deal with this.” She said.

“It is a great honor to partner with StarTimes which has committed to support us as we strive to create a comfortable home for our kids.”

SOS Children’s Village have branches in Kakiri, Entebbe, Gulu and Fort portal where they cater for 680 children. They also support over 10,000 more children with in the community.

(Visited 1 time, 1 visit today)
Continue Reading

Local Business

UBA wins Social Banking award for LEO Chat banking

Published

on

The UBA Uganda team receiving the Social media award for the Leo- Chat banking Innovation

The UBA Uganda team receiving the Social media award for the Leo- Chat banking Innovation.

By Our Reporter

SafeBoda is giving you 25% on all credit top-ups above 20k on Wednesdays. Click here

UBA Uganda has received recognition for its ground breaking Innovation -LEO Chat banking. This was during the annual Digital Impact Awards Africa (DIAA) which were held at Kampala Serena Hotel recently.

The 2018 Digital Impact Awards (DIAA) themed “Include Everyone” recognized and rewarded individuals and organizations that continue to spearhead the use of digital tools to enhance financial and digital inclusion while leading to economic transformation, across Africa.

UBA Uganda flourished in the social banking category, where the bank was recognized for the innovation of the first banking chat bot in Uganda and the World. UBA’s chat bot LEO impressed the judges, for bringing banking services to the apps where consumers didn’t have these services.

“This award is for the teams that have worked so hard to bring LEO to life. We are grateful to the customers that voted for UBA. In line with our ‘Customer First’ philosophy, we shall continue using technology to innovate products and services that empower customers and make banking more convenient.” said Johnson Agoreyo, CEO UBA Uganda.

LEO enables customers perform ordinary banking transactions such as account opening, funds transfer and airtime purchase while providing access to customer service on social media sites such as Facebook and Whatsapp.

Congratulating UBA Uganda on the award, Emeke E. Iweriebor, CEO UBA East and Southern Africa said, “Technology has remained central to United Bank for Africa’s business strategy, as we continue to enhance our product offering beyond brick and mortar locations, deploying lifestyle banking technology, to serve our customers. This accolade, is therefore a testament of our pledge for excellence in line with our vision, to be the undisputed, leading and dominant financial services institution in Africa”.

With the increased demand of convenience by customers and the growth in the use of social media, LEO is a necessary and welcome innovation.

(Visited 1 time, 1 visit today)
Continue Reading

Local Business

dfcu Bank threatens legal action over “fake news campaign”

Published

on



DFCU bank

SafeBoda is giving you 25% on all credit top-ups above 20k on Wednesdays. Click here

By Our Reporter

After continuously being shown in bad light in sections of the media, dfcu Bank has warned it will take the legal course to seek reparations if the media attacks continue. In a legal notice that has surfaced online, the bank accuses Rajiv Ruparelia of orchestrating the smear campaign against its business over the last 10 months since they took over some of the assets and liabilities of Crane Bank.

Through its lawyers, Kalenge, Bwanika, Ssawa and Company Advocates (KBS), dfcu claims Rajiv “sponsored, coordinated and propagated a fake news campaign” through online news sites and blogs with a motive to cause a bank run and eventual collapse of the bank.

“You have variously paid the operators of online news sites and blogs to spread malicious falsehoods about our client and its senior management, all to create an impression that our client is in a precarious financial situation and an ownership and management crisis whereas this is not the case,” reads part of the letter dated 5th October.

“Once the malicious false hoods have been crafted into sensationalist online content you have been repeatedly sending web links to the sites carrying these falsehoods using social media particularly Whatsapp,” the letter further reads. “You have done this repeatedly and to a very large number of recipients with a view to driving traffic to the false stories you had paid for and in the hope that the links would go viral and cause maximum damage to the reputation of dfcu Bank.”

KBS also outed several online publications and bloggers whom they claim are Rajiv’s vessel for executing the fake news campaign, which they say amounts to corporate defamation and economic sabotage.

“Your repeated conduct amounts to the civil torts of corporate defamation and interference with our client’s business by unlawful means,” KBS notes. “Your repeated attempts to destabilize the second largest financial institution in Uganda also amount to economic sabotage and have national security implications.”

dfcu bank is demanding a written apology from Rajiv as well as restraint from engaging in this “nefarious and malicious” campaign or it will initiate criminal complaint and commence civil proceedings against him.

(Visited 1 time, 1 visit today)
Continue Reading

Facebook

HOT RIGHT NOW