By Staff Writer
Over time, Kampala City has transformed into a city with a number of specialized locations. How each of these locations came to deal in the same kind of stuff is a question that can only be answered by historians. This week, we reveal areas in Kampala that specialize in particular stuff. If you want something in the city, you will be more than sure to get it in these locations.
1. HARDWARE (Nakasero) It’s only with the entry of Hardware World that some people begun shopping for hardware products from other places other than Nakasero. The whole area around Nakasero Market has evolved to be the location where one is bound to get any hardware product. If you fail to find a certain hardware item that you want here, then you won’t get it anywhere in Uganda.
2. PRINTING, PAPER (Nasser Road and Nkurumah) Nasser Road branded itself as Uganda’s printing conurbation. Every arcade in this area is full of people selling paper, printing material, carrying out bulk printing, graphic design and anything that requires one to put a design onto paper or stuff. If you want branded cups, Nasser road is the place. If you want to print exam papers, Nasser is still the place. If you plan to make Identity Cards, look no further than Nasser Road. Of course it’s also famous for all kinds of forgeries. No wonder, it produced Nasser Ntege Ssebagala aka Seya.
3. MUSIC AND MOVIES and PHONES (Majestic Plaza, Mutaasa Kafeero) These two arcades of Majestic Plaza and Mutaasa Kafeero are popular for ripping CDs. For the latest movies and music CDs, this is the go-to-place. If you are looking to buy a phone for any price, this is also the place. A joke is often told that if your phone is stolen in Kampala, you would rather go to Mutaasa Kafeero than report to police. At least in that case, you are assured of finding your phone.
4. TEXTILES (Kiyembe) The Kiyembe strip is the go-to-center for one’s textile needs in Uganda. For all kinds of clothing material, tailoring stuff, sewing machines, this is the collection centre. If you can’t find a specific material in Kiyembe lane, then it doesn’t exist in Uganda.
5. SCRAP METAL, FABRICATIONS and MILLING (Katwe and Kisenyi) These places which are somehow located next to each other are your one stop centre for Scrap Metal, Fabrications, Metal works and Milling needs. If you can’t get something fabricated in Katwe or Kisenyi then you are 99.9% sure whatever you are trying to fabricate is an impossibility. Are you working on your own design, these people here will bring it to reality.
6. PROSTITUTES (Speke Road and William Street) Speke Road is famous for its high class prostitutes. Even Bad Black now Bad Brown came from Speke Road. It’s the famous red-light zone of Kampala. If you are looking for even cheaper sex, then William Street will get you something for your price. William street is the stretch from Radio One down to Mutaasa Kafeero. It’s famous for its “Top Pub.” Apparently, in Top Pub, every woman in there is a lady of the night and only speaks the language of money.
7. ENGINEERS and TEACHERS (Kyambogo University) Kyambogo University is famous for producing Engineers and Teachers. For every ten Kyambogo University students that you meet, at least four of them will either be engineers or teachers. This University is also the only one that has a faculty dedicated to training people to handle Special Needs People.
8. COFFINS and CASKETS (Upper Katwe Road) Even though of late, there are funeral service providers such as A-Plus and Uganda Funeral Services, they are still expensive for most people. However, if you are looking for all types of coffins, grave makers, engravers, then the upper katwe road as one heads to Kibuye is the place. You will get a coffin or casket for any price. If you are trying to work on your deceased person’s grave, you will find all types from terrazzo, tiles to marble and granite.
9. ENTERTAINMENT (www.bigeye.ug) Not because we work here but if you are interested in all kinds of entertainment in Uganda, you want to be plugged into Uganda’s social life whether through music, news, events, then www.bigeye.ug is the answer to all your problems. And if you want to zero down to campus, then www.campuseye.ug is your answer.
10. COMPUTERS (Bombo Road-Kampala Road) These two roads which are connected to each other is where you will find all types of computers, printers, scanners, the latest tablets, computer technicians, repairs etc. You will get a computer for any price along these two roads.
11. ELECTRONICS (Nakasero, Energy Center) There is an area around Nakasero Market that has evolved into an electronics hub of Kampala and Uganda at large. It even has plazas such as Energy Center to reflect this purpose. It is famous for companies such as Ssebagala and Sons Electronics Centre. If you want a diode, then come here. Want a sensor, this is the place. Anything that is electronic, this is the place.
12. MOTOR SPARES (Kisekka Market and Ndebba) Did you lose your car side mirror? Please rush to Kisekka market. Are you looking for a certain spare part, once again rush to Kisekka market. Ndebba, another suburb of Kampala also serves a similar purpose. In Ndebba, you will find full-stocked garages and the good news is, they won’t charge you as if you have global funds.
13. WOOD, TIMBER (Ndebba and Kibuye) If you want wood or any timber, Ndebba is the place to be at. Whether you want mahogany or pine, you will find all the wood in Ndebba. Don’t bother yourself going to expensive places such as Nina Interiors when Ndebba exists, you will get the same kind of material for a less price.
14. RETAIL, WHOLESALE (Kikubo) If by this time, you don’t know Kikubo, then you are a refugee in Uganda. Almost everything you buy at your local shop is bought from the big shops of Kikubo. It’s in Kikubo where you will find many silent Ugandan billionaires and millionaires. Many of these didn’t go to school but they are loaded. They will sell you all household items, and every other item that you need for your day-to-day needs.
15. CHEAP STUFF (Owino Market, Downtown Kampala) If you want any kind of cheap stuff, cheap clothing, cheap foodstuff, then go to Owino Market aka St.Balikuddembe Market and the arcades in downtown Kampala. Also beware that Kampala demands alertness, if you are absent-minded, you will come back without your phone or wallet.
16. BEEF PRODUCTS (Lufuula, industrial area) Do you want mutton or you want beef? Want goats’ meat? What really do you want? Go to Uganda’s largest slaughter zone aka abattoir aka Lufuula. It’s located in Industrial area, second or First Street just below the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the former BAT factory in Uganda. Here you can get to buy some cheap fresh meat and also pose around.
This article shall be updated in due-process to add on other specialized areas in Kampala. For now, enjoy this free guide and share it among your circles.
Uganda Rugby Cranes flagged off ahead of Zambia, Zimbabwe clashes
The rugby cranes today had their last training session at Kyadondo rugby grounds ahead of their return legs with Zambi and Zimbabwe. The rugby cranes were seen off by some of the staff from their main sponsors Nile Special and enjoyed previlage of the company of the American and South African ambassadors.The Uganda rugby team besides going for the wins have also fronted the Nile Special current campaign #NoExcuse which is aimed at reducing sexual harassment in society.
Here is the selected team to fave Zambi and Zimbabwe
1. Ssenteza Santos
2. Kivumbi Saul
3. Kimbowa Collin
4. Asuman Mugerwa
5. Odugo Faragi
6. Kanyanya Ronald
7. Otto Micheal
8. Olet Simon Peter
9. Odong Charles Uhuru
10. Asaba Brian
11. Pius Ogena
12. Ayera Desire
13. Emong Eliphaz
14. Aaron Ofoyrwoth
15. Epilo Paul Emmanuel
16. Ivan Magomu Arthur
17. Masendi Paul
18. Okorach Micheal
19. Munyani Ian Arnold
20. Wokorach Philip
21. Semwami Daudi Ashraf
22. Simwende Kimono Justin
23. Kasito Adrian
24. Oketayot Byron
Tusker Lite confirm participation in first ever Food Street Festival in September
On Monday, the first ever “KCCA Foodie Street” was introduced to the Ugandan social events scene promising an assortment of delicious local delicacies all aligned to take place at the heart of the city’s most esteemed street, Parliamentary Avenue come Saturday, September 7, 2019.
The Foodie Street will host food lovers within the city to a day of merrymaking on the food filled street is organised by KCCA and My Food Network in partnership with Tusker Lite to bring food lovers an unforgettable food fest.
“Kampala is the entertainment capital of East Africa and KCCa has a strategy to make it the premier entertainment and tourist destination in Africa. One of the ways to do this is to showcast our rich culture and hospitality and we know that showcasing our abundant street food, we can achieve this goal, said KCCA Director of Education and Social Services, Mrs Namuddu Juliet Nambi.It has been touted as a fun outdoors lifestyle food event that will showcase Ugandan street food while offering a variety of treats from the different street food exhibitions set to leave food lovers spoilt for choice. Revelers will be given the option of pairing their dishes with either a Tusker Lite or Coca Cola.
“Tusker Lite remains at the heart of the best food experiences in the country. We are looking forward to bringing foodies the party flavour in the first edition of this fun outdoors food experience come September,” said Balaba Brian, Key Accounts Manager, UBL.The event shall have over 30 street food vendors catering to the public from 10:00am to midnight. The event is a mirror of other street food festivals held in numerous cities around the world like Paris, Berlin, London, Manila and Brussels, just to mention but a few.
From sunrise to sunset the streets will be buzzing with activity with every other stall premise creatively set up as either a café or restaurant with Kampala City Council Authority giving the greenlight on the fun food event. There will also be music, dance and drinks all perfectly placed under one historic venue, Parliamentary Avenue located between the IPS building and Jumbo Plaza. Entry to the event is free.
Nile Special ‘No Excuse’ Campaign to highlight Sexual Harassment
Nile Breweries under its flagship brand Nile Special has launched a behavioral change campaign dubbed “No Excuse” with the aim of addressing the predicament of sexual harassment in the country. The brand will address the subject by calling for smart drinking measures among its consumers,since alcohol abuse has been identified as one of the primary catalysts for sexual harassment.The aim of the ‘No Excuse’ campaign is to:
• shine a spotlight on the sexual harassment problem.
• to bring about a change in long established societal behaviours and attitudes
• to activate bystanders with the aim of decreasing and preventing this act
• challenge the public to take appropriate action against perpetrators of sexual harassment
• encourage stakeholders to support the victims to access appropriate support services.
Attention is increasingly being paid to the prevalence of this vice in Uganda. Whether this is down to more cases being reported or the abuse is on the rise, is a matter worth investigating. What is certain, is that the public space in which women can freely express themselves must be guarded. This calls for collective reflection by all stakeholders on the measures to be undertaken to ensure that every individuals rights and freedom are protected as enshrined in the constitution under Article 20.Utilizing the brand’s online platforms, the campaign will implore the public have its say on what constitutes sexual harassment. The information will be curated and the data presented into a communication campaign to both raise awareness and also educate the public about sexual harassment while changing people’s attitudes and beliefs.
Francis Nyende, the Nile Special Brand Manager said, “It is a good thing that the plight of women regarding sexual harassment is edging to the fore of the national discourse. But it’s also rather disturbing that almost daily there’s a story about a woman that has been sexually harassed. As one of the leading Ugandan brands we have decided to champion the cause. ”Our ultimate goal is to reduce and prevent the incidences of sexual harassment, which affects the lives of too many women, both directly and indirectly, and thereby make a much safer society.
“Some of the places where women are more susceptible to sexual harassment is during the nightlife (bars, discos etc). At certain hours of the night, after consuming a couple of bottles, some men throw caution to the wind at the expense of the women. So we are here to educate revelers that they should drink smart, there’s no excuse for sexual harassment,” says Nyende.
Ms. Gloria Nakafeero, the Commissioner Gender and Women Affairs, Ministry of Gender,
Labour and Social Development said, “We are using the ‘No Excuse’ campaign as a catalyst to
get people to question themselves and their behaviors. We are aware that by identifying the problem we shall need to do more to try and create meaningful change. So by raising awareness about the issue, the existing laws and policies as well as the existing support services, we will contribute towards positive change in attitudes to make sexual harassment “inexcusable” and unacceptable and demand positive actions towards the elimination of sexual harassment.
I am happy to be associated with the Nile Special ‘No Excuse’ campaign. It always starts with a simple insight. What rings true for me was the idea that in Uganda, whenever we observe or encounter of sexual harassment, we’re inclined to absent ourselves of any responsibility – or worse still, excuse behaviour that’s totally inexcusable.” Article 24 of the constitution protects the dignity of every one in Uganda. No person shall be subjected to any form of inhuman or degrading treatment. This includes respect of a person to their psychological or mental wellbeing.
Enough is enough. Let’s stop excusing sexual harassment. Learn more at the Nile Special ‘No Excuse’ campaign websitewww.noexcuse.ug
HOT RIGHT NOW
- Entertainment News1 day ago
Here’s What to Expect at 2019’s Nyege Nyege Festival (300 Artistes; 4 Days Nonstop Fun)
- Celebrity Gossip2 days ago
Beenie Gunter drops 25 track ‘No Fear’ album
- Celebrity Gossip2 days ago
Leaked: Comedy Store to fly in WIZKID in final show this year
- Celebrity Gossip2 days ago
Frustrated Winnie Nwagi fails to perform after payment
- Celebrity Gossip5 days ago
Nigerian Crooner Nonso Amadi gives special tribute to Radio Mozwey at Shorts Na Lessu
- Celebrity Gossip3 days ago
Coco Finger, Beenie Gunter lite up Gulu
- Celebrity Gossip2 days ago
Spice Diana seeks to revive OS Suna career in new collaboration
- Celebrity Gossip5 days ago
Photos: Club beer gives life to Masaka Street jam